To encourage and support the arts in Clare County, Michigan, through such means as sponsoring exhibitions, demonstrations, and forums; producing theatrical and musical performances; advancing arts education by offering classes for youth and adults; encouraging public support for local artists and arts projects; and raising funds needed to support the organization's work.
Headlines / Notices
Clare County Arts Council Updates
Finds A New Home
The Clare County Arts Council will be moving into their new home at the Clare Depot. Your donations will be used to furnish and equip their new home to better offer Community Arts Education.
Fundraising Goal: $10,000
Clare County Arts Council Updates
August 22, 2016
- Old 27 Motor Tour is this Thursday, August 25 from 6:00-10:00 in downtown Clare. There will be cake and ice cream to celebrate the 10th Anniversary. The band, Nightshift will be playing starting at 6:30. The 515 Gallery will have their Opening Reception from 6-8 and Gabe Couch will be playing music in Art Alley. The Depot will be open on Thursday night.
- August 25: Harrison will be having a Garden Tour. Cost $10. Tickets available at Harrison City Hall. Contact Deb Mason for more information at 989.630.0052 or Harrison City Hall 989.539.7145.
- August 26: Clare County Arts Council will be at the Harrison Street Fair helping with crafts. Children will be able to color quilt pictures or make their own quilt blocks. CCAC will be located by the old Surrey House. CCAC will be promoting the Quilt Block Trail.
- This is not a cultural event, but Clare is having their Wine Walk 3.0 this Saturday, August 27 from 4-8 in Downtown Clare. Contact the Chamber at 989.386.2442 for more information. Cost is $10.
- Thank you to everyone who made a donation to the Depot. The City of Clare reached its goal of $25,000. If you have not donated, you can still donate to have other projects completed. Donations of all denominations are being accepted. Your tax deductible donation can be send to MMCAA-Clare Depot Project, 202 W Fifth Street, Clare, MI. You can also drop off your donation to Clare City Hall.
Here is more info on the Clare’s 515 Gallery “ART PICKERS”
- Even Mike & Frank would mark their calendars for the 515 Gallery’s exhibit “Art Pickers” opening reception in downtown Clare on Thursday, August 25, 2016 from 6-8 p.m. The 515 Gallery, located right next to Cops & Doughnuts, will feature various local artists who have helped to create the feel of an artistic “Honey-Hole” of eclectic treasures. From sketches to painted furniture, clay sculptures to studio props, the 515 Gallery will take on a vintage, nostalgic theme for patrons to “pick”. No need to sit at home watching Pickers on TV, when you can “free-style” downtown Clare’s 515 Gallery & purchase your own creative collectibles! Don’t forget the Old 27 Auto tour will also be in town that evening & Art Alley will be unveiling this year’s community art project- artist, Justin LaDoux’s Humpty Dumpty sculpture sitting on the wall of donated license plates!
- Save the Date: September 21 from 4-6, CCAC is having a fund raiser at the Doherty Hotel. “Roaring 20’s Speak Easy”. For $20, you will receive a behind the scenes tour of the “Happy Hour Club” (poker room frequented by oil men in the 1920’s, hidden back entrance). CCAC is looking for people to be docents, flappers and actors. Contact Sandy Doherty at 808.345.2117, Janice Chapman at 989.588.9047 or Carol Crawford at 386.3851 to volunteer.
- Wild Pumpkin Farm is part of the Clare County Quilt Trail. They are having a Farm to Table event on September 10. Cost is $50 a person, with social hour and farm tours starting at 5, with dinner to follow at 6. Tickets are available at Clare Co Farm Bureau office 989.386.4424 until August 31. The Wild Pumpkin Farm is located at 5799 Beaverton Rd, Beaverton, MI. Help support local events.
- Art Walk Central began on August 20 and will end on September 10. Check out their website for a list of activities. There website is www.artreachcenter.org The following local artist will have their work on display at Art Walk Central.
- Jan Alfano HOST: Art Reach | SMS Code: AWC 18
- Jeff Best HOST: Downtown Public Spaces | SMS Code: AWC 79
- Roger Chase HOST: Helios Art Gallery | SMS Code: AWC 47
- Sandra Doherty HOST: Gray’s Furniture | SMS Code: AWC 70
- Edward Evans HOST: University Art Gallery | SMS Code: AWC 59
- Rebecca Hastings HOST: University Art Gallery | SMS Code: AWC 158
- Ian Humphres HOST: Downtown Public Spaces | SMS Code: AWC 38
- Kim Kleinhardt HOST: Helios Art Gallery | SMS Code: AWC 53
- Hannah Lucas HOST: University Art Gallery | SMS Code: AWC 71
- Jeanne Rouston HOST: Isabella Community Credit Union | SMS Code: AWC 150
- Nick Rydman HOST: University Art Gallery | SMS Code: AWC 81
- Katie Schroeder Muma HOST: Gray’s Furniture | SMS Code: AWC 166
- Sam Soet HOST: Helios Art Gallery | SMS Code: AWC 21
- Judy Thurston HOST: University Art Gallery | SMS Code: AWC 15
- Ryan Watkins HOST: 3 Wishes Floral & Design | SMS Code: AWC 1
- Julie Bee Wells HOST: CMU Park Library | SMS Code: AWC 149
- Janet Sowle will be at Helios Art Gallery SMS Code: AWC 14
- Jeanette Stewart will be at Isabella Bank SMS Code: AWC 45
- The next 4th Street Marketplace (artisan and farm products) will be September 2 in Clare Art Alley. This will be held from 5-9. Contact the Chamber to register your booth at 386-2442. Spaces are $10 in advance and $15 the day of the event. Booth sizes are 10 x 10 outdoor space.
- Yoder’s Amish Quilt Auction and Flea Market will be held September 2-3 on Leaton Road, Clare
- September 8, Art Reach of Mid Michigan is having their Annual Benefit Auction for the Arts. It will be held at Sacred Heart Parish Hall. Cost is $50. There will be a live auction, raffles, silent auction, Taste of Mt Pleasant, Beer and Wine, Awarding of the 2016 Art Walk Central Winners. For more information, go to artreachcenter.org
- September 13 Carly Shortz will be the program. The evening will consist of an explanation of techniques used in creating art work completed in her home studio, using clay, copper, glass, paint and gourds. After this explanation and tour of her home studio and gallery, the art club will conduct its regular meeting at the lake with s'mores at the fire pit...weather permitting. Her address is 7750 Peninsula Drive, Farwell. Dress appropriately for the weather.
- September 17, North Star Quilt Show at St Ann’s Catholic Church, 800 W 13th Street, Cadillac. It will be from 10-3. Admission $5. www.northstarquiltguild.org
- September 18: MMCC BBQ. Current members will be able to sell their items. In the past, smaller items seem to sell better. Contact Janice Chapman for more information. Her email is firstname.lastname@example.org
- Clare County Arts Council will be holding their Quilt Block Trail ride on October 11. It is a fun afternoon viewing the Quilt Blocks in Clare County. More details to follow.
If you have a program, you would like to present, please contact me at email@example.com
Don’t forget to send your $10 dues. To CCAC, P O Box 412, Clare, MI 48617.
-Clare County Arts Council is pleased to announce Brandi Holt from Clare High School was the $500 winner of this years scholarship.
-The Clare County Arts Council is pleased to announce over 50 quilt blocks have been place throughout Clare County. A huge thank you goes to Vicky Gunden and Jane Sartor-Key who worked with their committee on this project.
-CCAC is planning on making note cards of the quilt blocks to sell. CCAC will be making them at our February meeting. They will be sold at the Quilt Festival scheduled for May. More details to follow. CCAC is also looking at the possibility of making a 2017 Quilt Block calendar as a fund raiser.
The scholarship is for students who attend schools in Clare County and are planning on attending a summer arts camp. Last years winners were Julia David, from Clare High School. She attended Blue Lake Fine Arts Camp to study visual arts. Joshia Bear from Clare High School attending Blue Lake Fine Arts Camp for music. Sky Stacy from Harrison High School attended Interlochen Fine Arts Camp to study visual arts.
From the Clare County Review: Work is underway on the new home for the Clare County Arts Council at the historic Clare Railroad Depot. Stairs have been installed and the basement floor has been poured as the first part of the work to finish the CCAC’s new home.
A $51,874 grant from the Michigan Council for the Advancement of Culture and Arts (MCACA) will pay nearly one-half the cost to rehabilitate the basement of the Clare Railroad Depot as a home for the Clare County Arts Council. The Depot Committee has funds available to provide the required local match of $52,874.
- Quilt Festival: Thank you to everyone who worked or attended the Quilt Festival. Since this was CCAC’s first time at this adventure, we will learn from this and improve for next year.
The Quilt Festival raffle winners are: queen size quilt: Marlene Porter, wall hanging-Priscilla Garver and table runner-Ellen Fordos. The People’s Choice winners are: for Current: 1stplace Connie McAllister, 2ndplace Theola Cleveland and 3rdplace Megan West. For the Vintage category, 1st place-Amy Morris, 2nd place-Corinda Brown and 3rd place Judy Hubel.
Thank you to Emily Yob and Bob Guiliani for providing the music.
If you have any feedback, please let Vicky know at firstname.lastname@example.org
Jane Sartor Key, Vicky Gunden, and Carron Nevill
If you have any questions, contact me, Carol Santini. email@example.com