To encourage and support the arts in Clare County, Michigan, through such means as sponsoring exhibitions, demonstrations, and forums; producing theatrical and musical performances; advancing arts education by offering classes for youth and adults; encouraging public support for local artists and arts projects; and raising funds needed to support the organization's work.
Headlines / Notices
Clare County Arts Council Updates
Finds A New Home
The Clare County Arts Council will be moving into their new home at the Clare Depot. Your donations will be used to furnish and equip their new home to better offer Community Arts Education.
Fundraising Goal: $10,000
Clare County Arts Council Updates
January 29, 2017
- February 1 at Art Reach in Mt Pleasant from 12-1, CMU Music and Theater students will be dancing and performing. This is a free event.
- So far 15 people have signed up to Scrapbook or do stamping. There is still time to sign up. A scrapbooking crop is scheduled for February 25, 2017, at the Pere Marquette Library in Clare from 9-6. You can come to scrapbook, make cards, cross stitch, knit, etc. Cost is $30 with Proceeds to go to the City of Clare Recreational Complex. Also a Creative memories and Stamping Up consultant will be in attendance. Deadline to register is February 17. If you cannot spend the day but are in need of stamping or scrapbook supplies, Judy Brankel will have a table of her scrapbook items she no longer is using. (many new items). These items will be available for a donation. The money will go to the Clare Public Schools back pack program. This will be in the basement of the library. You do not have to pay to come check out what is available.
- The Jazz, Wine and Chocolate Affair will be held Friday, February 10 starting at 6 pm at Brewing on McEwan. This event is being sponsored by Clare Area Chamber of Commerce with proceeds to benefit the Chamber Depot Office project. Tickets are $20. There will be door prizes and silent auction items. There will surprise wine bottles for $5 as well as chocolate desserts and wine testing. For more information, contact the Chamber at 989.386.2442.
- For Children: make a free water marbled Valentine on February 12. There are two classes, 1-1:45 and 2-2:45. These will be held at Art Reach. Call to reserve your spot.
- Painting with Pints will be held at the Four Leaf Brewing on February 14 from 7-9. Reservations required. Contact Four Leaf Brewing for more information.
- Isabella County is having their 158th Founders Day on February 11. It will be held at the First United Methodist Church, 400 S Main, Mt Pleasant. There is a pancake breakfast and a quilt show. If you would like to display your quilt or have questions, please contact Valerie Wolters at 989.773.9571. The event is from 8-12:30.
- Art Reach in Mt Pleasant again is having their Festival of Banners. The theme this year is “Art in Nature.” Submission deadline in February 13, 2017. Adults artist will pay $25 to paint their banner and will receive their banner after the banner festival. Children 18 and under participate free of charge. Children must be at least 8 years old. For more information, contact Art Reach 989.773.3689 or go to their website www.artreachcenter.org
- Harrison Frost Bite Open is February 17-18. There will be a Frostbite Bazaar at the Harrison City Market from 11-6. Cost for the stalls is $30. Contact Debby Andrews to sign up at 989.330.9561.
- Cabin Fever Variety Show will be held on February 11 at the Jamie Performing Arts Center at Farwell HS. This variety show is a fundraiser for the Farwell Area Band. The event will begin at 6:30.
- If you missed the Metal and Oil exhibit at the 515 Gallery you still view the exhibit until March 1. This exhibit features artist, Ryan Flesher who does metal sculpture, and Kathy Jones who does oil on canvas. The exhibit is open from 11-4 Wednesday through Saturday.
- Isabella County Child Advocacy and Art Reach are teaming up for “Rock the Talk” This will be held at Art Reach on February 10 and March 10 from 6-8:30. This class provides training for parents, grandparents, teachers of school age children. It will highlight 10 rules for teaching children about their bodies and how to keep them safe. Each presentation is the same. There will be a class presentation along with painting. For more information contact Art Reach at 989.773.3689. cost is $40.
- Photo Contest: Mid Michigan Business and Visitor Guide Photo Contest – WIN $25.00 The Clare County Review is looking for a picture from the area that reflects Clare County’s history and heritage for the cover of our annual Mid Michigan Business and Visitor Guide. If you are an amateur photographer and would like to have a chance for your photo to be the cover image of our 2017 guide send in your favorite digital photo entry to: ccr. firstname.lastname@example.org or post your entry on our Facebook page. You can even send your entry into the Clare County Review, 105 W. Fourth Street, Clare, Michigan 48617. Please include your name and contact info with your entries. Deadline to enter is February 10, 2017. Actual print photographs sent in should be an 8x10. You may submit up to three images for consideration.
- March 1, Farwell 7th -12th Grade Band, HS drama and Choir concert at Jaime Performing Arts Center at 6:30.
- March 14: Farwell Elementary Musical 1st and 2nd grade, Jaimie Performing Arts Center at 6:30
- March 16: Farwell Elementary Musical 3rd and 4th grade, Jaimie Performing Arts Center at 6:30.
- Plans are in the works for the Clare Irish Festival. Big Brothers Big Sisters will be having their annual Art and Silent Auction on March 15th starting at 7 at the Doherty.
- Get your cooking skills going with the Irish Recipe Contest. This will be held on Thursday, March 16 at the Clare High School staring at 5:30. Followed by the Gateway band performing at 7:30.
- Irish Pet Photo contest is being held by the City of Clare Parks and Recreation. Get your pet dressed in their best Irish attire. For more information, contact Parks and Rec and 989.386.7541 ext 213.
- Looking forward, on June 9th, City of Clare will be hosting the Back to the Bricks Car Show on McEwan street. More details to follow.
- May 19 & 20 is the Clare County Arts Council Quilt Festival. Finish up the quilt you are working on to enter it in the show. More details to follow
- May 6 at Mt Pleasant’s Island Park is MMI’s 19th Annual Walk and Roll for Mental Health Awareness. It will be held from 10-1
- Farwell fifth and sixth grade art is on display at the Surrey Township Public Library. The display will change at the beginning of each month. The library is at the corner of Hall and Michigan.
- Harrison City Market is open. They are looking for vendors. They are open Friday and Saturday 8-4 and Sunday 12-4. For more information, contact email@example.com or call 989.330.9561.
- Scrap, Stamp and Socialize at the Pere Marquette Library. On Thursday’s from 10-6, you bring your own projects and spend the day working on them. Contact Sheila at the Library for more information.
If you have a program, you would like to present, please contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org
Thanks to everyone who have sent in their dues. Your $10 dues a year help support the Clare County Arts Council. If you have not sent in your dues, you can mail then to CCAC, P O Box 412, Clare, MI 48617.
-Clare County Arts Council is pleased to announce Brandi Holt from Clare High School was the $500 winner of this years scholarship.
-The Clare County Arts Council is pleased to announce over 50 quilt blocks have been place throughout Clare County. A huge thank you goes to Vicky Gunden and Jane Sartor-Key who worked with their committee on this project.
-CCAC is planning on making note cards of the quilt blocks to sell. CCAC will be making them at our February meeting. They will be sold at the Quilt Festival scheduled for May. More details to follow. CCAC is also looking at the possibility of making a 2017 Quilt Block calendar as a fund raiser.
The scholarship is for students who attend schools in Clare County and are planning on attending a summer arts camp. Last years winners were Julia David, from Clare High School. She attended Blue Lake Fine Arts Camp to study visual arts. Joshia Bear from Clare High School attending Blue Lake Fine Arts Camp for music. Sky Stacy from Harrison High School attended Interlochen Fine Arts Camp to study visual arts.
From the Clare County Review: Work is underway on the new home for the Clare County Arts Council at the historic Clare Railroad Depot. Stairs have been installed and the basement floor has been poured as the first part of the work to finish the CCAC’s new home.
A $51,874 grant from the Michigan Council for the Advancement of Culture and Arts (MCACA) will pay nearly one-half the cost to rehabilitate the basement of the Clare Railroad Depot as a home for the Clare County Arts Council. The Depot Committee has funds available to provide the required local match of $52,874.
- Quilt Festival: Thank you to everyone who worked or attended the Quilt Festival. Since this was CCAC’s first time at this adventure, we will learn from this and improve for next year.
The Quilt Festival raffle winners are: queen size quilt: Marlene Porter, wall hanging-Priscilla Garver and table runner-Ellen Fordos. The People’s Choice winners are: for Current: 1stplace Connie McAllister, 2ndplace Theola Cleveland and 3rdplace Megan West. For the Vintage category, 1st place-Amy Morris, 2nd place-Corinda Brown and 3rd place Judy Hubel.
Thank you to Emily Yob and Bob Guiliani for providing the music.
If you have any feedback, please let Vicky know at email@example.com
Jane Sartor Key, Vicky Gunden, and Carron Nevill
If you have any questions, contact me, Carol Santini. firstname.lastname@example.org