To encourage and support the arts in Clare County, Michigan, through such means as sponsoring exhibitions, demonstrations, and forums; producing theatrical and musical performances; advancing arts education by offering classes for youth and adults; encouraging public support for local artists and arts projects; and raising funds needed to support the organization's work.
Headlines / Notices
Clare County Arts Council Updates
Finds A New Home
The Clare County Arts Council will be moving into their new home at the Clare Depot. Your donations will be used to furnish and equip their new home to better offer Community Arts Education.
Fundraising Goal: $10,000
Clare County Arts Council Updates
July 11 2016
There is so much happening in Clare this week.
- REMINDER: July 12: Don’t forget Janice Jenkins from Elm Creek will be presenting on Gardening Tips at the Pere Marquette Library. This free event will be held starting at 6:30. This is a lead in to the Art of Gardening event.
- July 16 The Art of Gardening will be held. Tickets are for sale at the Doherty Hotel. $8 in advance and $10 the day of the event. There will be 5 gardens to tour, plus a tour of the Doherty House in Clare.
- July 15 & 16 Clare Music Festival. Jamming BBQ and Street Party in downtown Clare. On Friday from 6-8 there will be a Battle of the Bands. On Saturday, there will be a free concert and dancing in the street with three bands, from 6-11. A BBQ will also be available. Contact Clare Chamber for more information 989.386.2442.
- July 15 at 515 Gallery, there is an open house from 6-7:30. It is for local artist who are going to have their work displayed at Art Walk Central. The following will be on display:
Jan Alfano HOST: Art Reach | SMS Code: AWC 18
Jeff Best HOST: Downtown Public Spaces | SMS Code: AWC 79
Roger Chase HOST: Helios Art Gallery | SMS Code: AWC 47
Sandra Doherty HOST: Gray’s Furniture | SMS Code: AWC 70
Edward Evans HOST: University Art Gallery | SMS Code: AWC 59
Rebecca Hastings HOST: University Art Gallery | SMS Code: AWC 158
Ian Humphres HOST: Downtown Public Spaces | SMS Code: AWC 38
Kim Kleinhardt HOST: Helios Art Gallery | SMS Code: AWC 53
Hannah Lucas HOST: University Art Gallery | SMS Code: AWC 71
Jeanne Rouston HOST: Isabella Community Credit Union | SMS Code: AWC 150
Nick Rydman HOST: University Art Gallery | SMS Code: AWC 81
Katie Schroeder Muma HOST: Gray’s Furniture | SMS Code: AWC 166
Sam Soet HOST: Helios Art Gallery | SMS Code: AWC 21
Judy Thurston HOST: University Art Gallery | SMS Code: AWC 15
Ryan Watkins HOST: 3 Wishes Floral & Design | SMS Code: AWC 1
Julie Bee Wells HOST: CMU Park Library | SMS Code: AWC 149
- July 17 at 2 pm: Classical Piano concert at Prince of Peace Church, 10333 S Clare Ave, Clare. Scott Taylor will perform several classical pieces. Some of the pieces are: Chopin Waltz Op 64 #1, Beethoven Sonata #21, Mozart Piano Concerto #23. This is a FREE concert.
- Don’t forget the Clare City Parks and Recreation Summer Concert Series. They are held on Thursday from 6-8. You can enjoy music at the Clare City Park across from City Hall. Here is part of the schedule.
July 14 Kevin Chamberlain Country Sponsored by Cops & Donuts
July 21 Gabe Couch (Blues and Rock) Sponsored by Clare County Arts Council
July 28 Country Express (Country, Gospel)Sponsored by Herrick House/The Mulberry Café and Prestige Place
These concerts go until August. New this year, there will be “summer fun” dates. This means there will be kids game or craft station at each of the July concerts to celebrate summer. Contact Parks and Rec at 386.7541 ext 213 for more information.
- The next 4th Street Marketplace (artisan and farm products) will be July 15 in Clare Art Alley. This will be held from 5-9. Contact the Chamber to register your booth at 386-2442. Spaces are $10 in advance and $15 the day of the event. Booth sizes are 10 x 10 outdoor space. The last 4th Street Marketplace will be September 2.
- Don’t forget to submit your BIKE ART SCULPTURE. The deadline for submitting your Bike Art Sculpture entry form is NOW July 22. Bike Art Sculpture is where artist utilize various parts from bikes to fashion a free standing Bike Art Sculpture. Ray’s Bike Shop can be utilized as a source for bike parts or other sources of artist desire. All entries will be offered at auction on September 14 at the Clare Community Art Auction and Community Reception, proceeds from Bike Art Sculptures will be divided as follows: 50% of the proceeds will go to the artist, 25% will go to the Rail Trail Completion fund and 25% will go to Clare’s Downtown Community Art Fund. Contact the Chamber for more information.
- ART ALLEY update. 515 Gallery and Art Attraction is looking for pre 1969 license plates. These will be used to make a mosaic in Art Alley on the retaining wall. You can drop off your license plates at the 515 Gallery, Wednesday – Saturday 11-4.
- August 9, CCAC program at 515 Gallery
- August 25, Old 27 Car Show will be held in downtown Clare.
- August 26: Clare County Arts Council will be at the Harrison Street Fair helping with crafts. CCAC will be promoting the Quilt Block Trail.
- September 13 Carly Shortz will be the program. More details to follow.
- September 18: MMCC BBQ. Current members will be able to sell their items. More details to follow.
- If you have a program, you would like to present, please contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Please pay your 2015 dues. Your $10 can be mailed to CCAC, P O Box 412, Clare, Michigan 48617
- CCAC will be making Quilt Block cards to sell at the Quilt Festival in May. More details to follow.
Up Coming events
- July: Garden Tour
-Clare County Arts Council is pleased to announce Brandi Holt from Clare High School was the $500 winner of this years scholarship.
-The Clare County Arts Council is pleased to announce over 50 quilt blocks have been place throughout Clare County. A huge thank you goes to Vicky Gunden and Jane Sartor-Key who worked with their committee on this project.
-CCAC is planning on making note cards of the quilt blocks to sell. CCAC will be making them at our February meeting. They will be sold at the Quilt Festival scheduled for May. More details to follow. CCAC is also looking at the possibility of making a 2017 Quilt Block calendar as a fund raiser.
The scholarship is for students who attend schools in Clare County and are planning on attending a summer arts camp. Last years winners were Julia David, from Clare High School. She attended Blue Lake Fine Arts Camp to study visual arts. Joshia Bear from Clare High School attending Blue Lake Fine Arts Camp for music. Sky Stacy from Harrison High School attended Interlochen Fine Arts Camp to study visual arts.
From the Clare County Review: Work is underway on the new home for the Clare County Arts Council at the historic Clare Railroad Depot. Stairs have been installed and the basement floor has been poured as the first part of the work to finish the CCAC’s new home.
A $51,874 grant from the Michigan Council for the Advancement of Culture and Arts (MCACA) will pay nearly one-half the cost to rehabilitate the basement of the Clare Railroad Depot as a home for the Clare County Arts Council. The Depot Committee has funds available to provide the required local match of $52,874.
- Quilt Festival: Thank you to everyone who worked or attended the Quilt Festival. Since this was CCAC’s first time at this adventure, we will learn from this and improve for next year.
The Quilt Festival raffle winners are: queen size quilt: Marlene Porter, wall hanging-Priscilla Garver and table runner-Ellen Fordos. The People’s Choice winners are: for Current: 1stplace Connie McAllister, 2ndplace Theola Cleveland and 3rdplace Megan West. For the Vintage category, 1st place-Amy Morris, 2nd place-Corinda Brown and 3rd place Judy Hubel.
Thank you to Emily Yob and Bob Guiliani for providing the music.
If you have any feedback, please let Vicky know at email@example.com
Jane Sartor Key, Vicky Gunden, and Carron Nevill
If you have any questions, contact me, Carol Santini. firstname.lastname@example.org