To encourage and support the arts in Clare County, Michigan, through such means as sponsoring exhibitions, demonstrations, and forums; producing theatrical and musical performances; advancing arts education by offering classes for youth and adults; encouraging public support for local artists and arts projects; and raising funds needed to support the organization's work.
Headlines / Notices
Clare County Arts Council Updates
Finds A New Home
The Clare County Arts Council will be moving into their new home at the Clare Depot. Your donations will be used to furnish and equip their new home to better offer Community Arts Education.
Fundraising Goal: $10,000
February 4, 2016 updates
- February 9: Clare County Arts Council will hold their General Meeting at the Pere Marquette Library. It will be at 6:30. We will be making Quilt Block note cards. These will be used as a money maker to fund CCAC activities. You do not have to be a craft person to help. Jane Sartor-Key has put the cards in a plastic bag. You will just need to assemble the note card. We will be done by 8.
- You still have time to view the exhibit at the 515 Gallery. Scapes, Land, Sea, Sky and Mind will be at the 515 Gallery until March 22. It features the work on Kathy Kaunitz Jones, Steve Barber and Michael Volker. The Gallery is open Wednesday through Saturday from 11-4.
- Clare Parks and Recreation is having an Irish Pet Photo contest. You need to submit your Irish- themed pet photo no later than 3 pm on Thursday March 17. There is a $5 entry fee with the proceeds going to Spay-Neuter Animal Project S-NAP. First place is a $100 gift card from Family Farm and Home, Second place is a photo session for you and your pet by Clare Guys and Dolls Photography and Third place is a $50 gift card from Jay's Sporting Goods. Go to http://clareirishfestival.com/petcontest for more information.
- February 8: Clare High School Band concert at 7. This is a FREE event.
- February 20: Cabin Fever Variety Show sponsored by Farwell Band Boosters. This will be the Jamie Performing Arts Center in Farwell beginning at 6:30. Cost is $4 for students and $6 for adults.
- February 23: 7th-12th Farwell Band and High School Choir Concert at Jamie Performing Arts Center. FREE
- February 23: Clare Middle School Band Concert. This starts at 7:00 pm and is held at Clare HS.
- Do you want to learn to paint with watercolor? Art Reach is holding a watercolor workshop on April 30 and May 1. Cost is $200 if you register by February 29. This will be held at Art Reach in Mt Pleasant. For more information go to Art Reach's website.
- Gateway Bands will be holding their Irish Concert at Clare High School. Mark your calendar for March 17 beginning at 7:30.
- 2016 Clare Irish Festival Irish Recipe Contest is March 17 at Clare High School Cafeteria. Judging will begin at 5:30. Get your creative juices going to submit a recipe. There are prizes for different categories, entrees, miscellaneous and desserts. For more information contact Clare Area Chamber of Commerce.
- Do you need a place to sell your arts and crafts? The Clare Irish Craft Show and Marketplace is going to be held on March 19 at Clare Primary School. It is from 9-4. Cost is $50 for your space. Contact the Clare Chamber for more information
- Quilting: Do you have an interest in learning how to quilt? Elm Creek has a beginning quilting class starting February 23. Check out their website at www.elmcreekltd.com for more information.
- Note of New Orleans is tentative scheduled at Clare HS on April 15. This will be from 7-9. More details to follow.
- Escanaba in da Moonlight a comedy by Jeff Daniels will be held at Mid Michigan Community College. Evening performances will begin at 7 on April 22, 29 and 30. Cost is $10. The Matinee performances are April 19, 21, 26 & 28 at 2 pm. The cost is $10 for the play and $22 for the optional luncheons. Call 989.386.6640 to reserve your seat.
- CCAC Quilt Festival is scheduled for May 20-21. This is tentatively scheduled to be held at the Clare Depot. This year CCAC will be raffling off a quilt block as the first prize. More details to follow.
- Don't forget to send in your $10 dues. They can be mailed to CCAC, P O Box 412, Clare, MI 48617.
- If you would like to unsubscribe to these updates, please reply to this email.
- Please pay your 2015 dues. Your $10 can be mailed to CCAC, P O Box 412, Clare, Michigan 48617
- There will be no CCAC general meeting in January. Our next meeting will be February 9th. CCAC will be making Quilt Block cards to sell at the Quilt Festival in May. More details to follow.
Up Coming events
- February 9: CCAC General meeting
- April 24th: Northern Traditions at Jay’s Sporting Goods
- May: Clare County Arts Council Quilt Festival
- July: Garden Tour
-Clare County Arts Council is pleased to announce Brandi Holt from Clare High School was the $500 winner of this years scholarship.
-The Clare County Arts Council is pleased to announce over 50 quilt blocks have been place throughout Clare County. A huge thank you goes to Vicky Gunden and Jane Sartor-Key who worked with their committee on this project.
-CCAC is planning on making note cards of the quilt blocks to sell. CCAC will be making them at our February meeting. They will be sold at the Quilt Festival scheduled for May. More details to follow. CCAC is also looking at the possibility of making a 2017 Quilt Block calendar as a fund raiser.
The scholarship is for students who attend schools in Clare County and are planning on attending a summer arts camp. Last years winners were Julia David, from Clare High School. She attended Blue Lake Fine Arts Camp to study visual arts. Joshia Bear from Clare High School attending Blue Lake Fine Arts Camp for music. Sky Stacy from Harrison High School attended Interlochen Fine Arts Camp to study visual arts.
From the Clare County Review: Work is underway on the new home for the Clare County Arts Council at the historic Clare Railroad Depot. Stairs have been installed and the basement floor has been poured as the first part of the work to finish the CCAC’s new home.
A $51,874 grant from the Michigan Council for the Advancement of Culture and Arts (MCACA) will pay nearly one-half the cost to rehabilitate the basement of the Clare Railroad Depot as a home for the Clare County Arts Council. The Depot Committee has funds available to provide the required local match of $52,874.
- Quilt Festival: Thank you to everyone who worked or attended the Quilt Festival. Since this was CCAC’s first time at this adventure, we will learn from this and improve for next year.
The Quilt Festival raffle winners are: queen size quilt: Marlene Porter, wall hanging-Priscilla Garver and table runner-Ellen Fordos. The People’s Choice winners are: for Current: 1stplace Connie McAllister, 2ndplace Theola Cleveland and 3rdplace Megan West. For the Vintage category, 1stplace-Amy Morris, 2ndplace-Corinda Brown and 3rdplace Judy Hubel.
Thank you to Emily Yob and Bob Guiliani for providing the music.
If you have any feedback, please let Vicky know at email@example.com
Jane Sartor Key, Vicky Gunden, and Carron Nevill
If you have any questions, contact me, Carol Santini. firstname.lastname@example.org